Jinja is located in Jinja municipality, Busoga sub region in the south eastern Uganda. It was established in 1907,before 1906 jinja used to be a fishing village that benefited from being located on the long-distance trade routes. Here are the Top Tourist Attractions in Jinja.
The word jinja means stones which evolved from the vocabulary of the two tribes of Basoga and Baganda that lived on the other side of the river.
Jinja has the second largest economy in Uganda, most factories choose to have their bases in Jinja because of the nearby electric power stations at the Owen falls dam. The main economic activities take place in the town center of Jinja.
Besides being the source of the mighty world’s longest river, a lot happens in jinja most especially in the industrial sector, the oil refining company of BIDCO, Nile Breweries headquarters, kiira Motor Corporation, and kakira sugar works of Madhvani group of companies which is the largest sugar factory in East Africa and employs large numbers of people. Jinja never disappoints there are quite many tourist attractions, fantastic lodging facilities, the now famous Nile bridge and a lot more that will definitely leave you wanting more once you visit.
- Kampala- Jinja is 87 km by road about 2 hours’ drive
- By air, charter flights from Entebbe airport or kajjansi airfield to Jinja airfield
- You can use regular taxis and buses on the eastern route
- By water you can use M V. Vanessa from Entebbe
- Town is located is on the shores of Lake Victoria
- Near the source of the Nile
Top Tourist Attractions in Jinja:
Jinja known as the adventure capital of East Africa has a lot to offer its visitors in the way of adventure sports, activities, beautiful sights and sounds of white water and a lot more.
On your way to Jinja, you pass through areas of sugarcane and tea plantations, mabira forest, namawojolo “the chicken hub”, crossing the river over the Owens fall dam and Nalubale dams and through the new beautiful Nile Bridge.
Tourism is providing a new impetus to Jinja’s economy. Modern and luxury lodging facilities, warm weather, natural beauty features that include lake views and the source of the Nile, the adventure activities at Bujagali falls. These and a lot more are contributing to Jinja’s growing popularity as a tourist destination.
When it comes to adventures there is no better place than Jinja on the Nile and Lake Victoria.
- Visit the source of the Nile; the source of the Nile was discovered by John Hanning Speke a western explorer. You can take a boat ride to show you the exact point of the Nile source [Speke monument] and ride on Lake Victoria as well, many travelers visit this historical place. Near the river there is a statue of Mahatma Gandhi whose ashes were strewn in the Nile, the gardens are calm and beautiful. You cannot afford to miss this visit on your itinerary
- Visit itanda falls; this is the perfect sight-seeing spot of the white water of itanda falls which is one of the best examples of the white water Nile, it is found 27km outside jinja town. Here you will definitely have the best taste of the Nile.
- Rippon falls; found at the northern end of Lake Victoria was formerly considered the source of the Nile, this rushing waterfall area offers good kayaking and birding.
- Owen falls dam; this was later renamed Nalubaale power station across the white Nile just 4km from the point at which river leaves lake Victoria
- Bujagali falls; this was a water fall near Jinja where the Nile River comes out of Lake Victoria. The falls have been submerged by the new bujagali dam since 2011. Rafting is mostly done here.
- The new Nile bridge; the source of the Nile bridge was commissioned by the president of Uganda on 17th October 2018, it is a cable-stayed bridge across the Victoria Nile and it is now described as “a thing of beauty”. The new Nile bridge is the fifth longest of its kind in Africa.
- Other places include; masese landing site, mabira forest reserve, the Nile breweries ltd, source of the Nile gardens, kakira sugar works among others
- Bungee jumping
- White water rafting
- The mvule boat cruise
- Jet boating on the Nile
- Sunset cruises
- Horseback riding safaris
- Mountain biking
- All terrain quad bike safaris
- Zip lining
- Jinja Nile resort
- Jinja safari hotel
- Forever resort
- Nile anchor palace
- Chel and vade cottages
- Pearl on the Nile
- Explorers river camp